- Aspiring to a career in regional economics, regional innovation, rural innovation, innovation policy, and environmental and resource economics
- Seeking to understand regional disparities in innovation and economic growth and identify policies to address perceived lag rural regions in terms of innovative activities.
Ph.D. Candidate, Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics, Michigan State University, Dept. of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics (AFRE), 2013-present.
Dissertation Title: “Rural-Urban Gap in Innovation Creation and Economic Growth in the United States”
Dissertation Committee: Satish Joshi (chair), John Mann, Scott Loveridge, Mark Skidmore
M.S., Applied Economics, University of Idaho, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology (AERS), 2011-2013.
Thesis title: “Statewide impact of potato virus Y on Idaho economy”
Thesis Committee: Christopher McIntosh (chair), Philip Watson, Levan Elbakidze, Philip Nolte
M.B.S., Business Studies, Tribhuvan University, Shanker Dev Campus, Nepal, 2005-2007.
Thesis title: “Credit management of commercial banks in the light of financial reform program in Nepal (with special reference to Nepal Bank Ltd. and Rastriya Banijya Bank)”
Thesis Committee: Dhruba Subedi (chair), Kamal Das Manandhar
B. Sc., Computer Science, Tribhuvan University, Patan Multiple Campus, Nepal, 2002-2005.
Research Assistant, Dept. of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics, Michigan State University, Spring 2016-present
- Objective: To explore the rural-urban innovation gap and the link between regional innovation and economic growth.
- Topics: Firm behavior, regional and firm level innovation characteristics, innovation metrics and determinants, R&D and innovation; knowledge spillover; innovation system; innovation and growth
Graduate Research Assistant, Dept. of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics (AFRE), Michigan State University, Spring 2013-Fall 2016
- Objective: Meta-analysis of the elasticity of residential water demand in the USA and around the globe.
- Data Experience: Construction of meta-data set including more than 200 peer-reviewed papers published during 2000-13
- Modeling Experience: Truncated and censored regression models; Logit, Probit, and Tobit models
Graduate Research Assistant, Dept. of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology (AERS), University of Idaho, Fall 2011-Fall 2013
- Objective: Analyze the damage to potato industry by potato virus Y and its state-wide impact in Idaho economy.
- Data and Modeling Experience: Modeling and analysis of experimental panel data at plot level combined with USDA data; Estimation of input-output model using IMPLAN 2011.
Grader, Mathematical Applications in Economics, graduate level course in AFRE, Michigan State University , Fall 2014.
- Designed and graded homework, taught occasionally during normal schedules and regularly during weekly review sessions, and weekly office hours.
Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology (AERS), University of Idaho, Fall 2011
- Assisted class organization, teaching, and grading of Agricultural Economics II , an undergraduate course.
School Teacher, Modern Graded English School, Nepal, Sep 2004 – July 2005.
- Taught Science and Mathematics courses for 7th and 8th grades
- Trainee Officer in Nepal SBI Bank for 9 months during 2010-11; supervised operation activities and evaluated loan proposals
- News Translator in News Media Pvt. Ltd., Nepal, for 4 months in 2010; translated news related to finance, commerce, economics, current political affairs.
- Program Officer in Development Centre, Nepal, for 9 months during 2009-10; developed project proposals, financial reports, and project implementation reports,
- Junior Assistant in Citizens Bank International Ltd., Nepal, for 15 months during 2008-09; worked as teller, customer service representative, and bank’s clearing house agent
- Public Relations Officer in Info Impact Pvt. Ltd., Nepal, for two and a half years during 2005-08; as a joint owner of the computer hardware and software development business, managed business relations and developed marketing strategies
JOURNAL SUBMISSION AND RESEARCH PRESENTATIONS
Papers in Review/Pipeline for Journal Submission
- Aryal, G.R., Mann, J., Loveridge, S., & Joshi, S. Drivers of Innovative Advantage in Urban and rural Regions. Submitted to Journal of Urban Affairs, 2017. Being reviewed for resubmission.
- Aryal, G.R., Mann, J., Loveridge, S., & Joshi, S. Exploring Rural and Urban Firm Innovation: Analysis of National Survey of Business Competitiveness. In pipeline for submission to the Journal of Entrepreneurship and Public Policy.
- Aryal, G.R., Mann, J., Loveridge, S., & Joshi, S. Linking Regional Innovation and Economic Growth and Identifying the Determinants. In pipeline for submission to the Journal of Regional Science.
Peer-reviewed Abstracts/Conference Presentations
- Aryal, G.R., Mann, J., Loveridge, S., & Joshi, S. “How Do Innovation and Economic Growth Drive Each Other? A County Level Analysis in the U.S.” Presented at 82nd Annual Meeting of the Midwest Economics Association (MEA), Evanston, Illinois, March 23-25, 2018
- Aryal, G.R., Mann, J., Loveridge, S., & Joshi, S. “Patterns in Rural Firm Innovation: Analysis of the National Survey of Business Competitiveness”. Paper presented at 64th Annual North American Meetings of the Regional Science Association International, Vancouver, Canada, November 8-11, 2017.
- Aryal, G.R., Mann, J., Loveridge, S., & Joshi, S. “Rural-Urban Divide in County Level Innovation Creation”. Presented at 2017 Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (AAEA) Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, July 30-August 1, 2017.
- Aryal, G.R., Mann, J., Loveridge, S., & Joshi, S. (2017). “Innovation Creation and Rural-Urban Divide”. Presented at Mid-continent Regional Science Association 48th Annual Conference, Toledo, Ohio, June 7-9, 2017.
Papers Presented in Graduate Research Symposiums
- Aryal, G.R., Mann, J., Loveridge, S., & Joshi, S. “The Rural-urban Divide in Innovation: Evidence from Patent Applications”. Presented at Regional Science Association International’s (RSAI) 10th Annual Midwest Graduate Student Summit on Applied Economics and Regional Science (AERS), Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, April 21-22.
- Aryal, G.R., Mann, J., Loveridge, S., & Joshi, S. “The Rural-urban Divide in Innovation: Evidence from Patent Awards. Presented at Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics (AFRE) Grad Students Annual Symposium, Michigan State University, East Lansing, March 30-31, 2017.
LEADERSHIP, AFFILIATION, AND VOLUNTEERING
Vice-president, Society of Computer Science Students (SOCS), Tribhuvan University (2004/05)
President, Nepali Students Association (NSA), University of Idaho (2012/13)
Senator, Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology (AERS), to the Council of Graduate Students (COGS), University of Idaho (2012/13)
Vice-president, Nepali Students Association of MSU (NSAMSU), Michigan State University (2013/14)
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (AAEA)
Midwest Economics Association (MEA)
Mid-Continent Regional Science Association (MCRSA)
Gamma Sigma Delta – The Honor Society of Agriculture
Nepali Students Association of MSU (NSAMSU)
Non-Resident Nepali Association (NRNA)
Flood Victims Relief Campaign, Non-Resident Nepali Association (NRNA), USA (August 15-28, 2017)
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), Refugee Development Center (RDC), Lansing, Michigan (Fall 2016)
Earthquake Victims Relief Campaign, Nepal Red Cross Society (NRCS), Nepal (June-July 2015)
MSU Student Food Bank, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan (Spring 2013)
Children Behind the Bars, Early Childhood Development Center (ECDC), Nepal (August 18-27, 2005)
Developing Communication and Conflict Management Skills for Optimal Productivity, Graduate School, Michigan State University. Completed on February 26, 2016. East Lansing, Michigan.
Graduate Student Leadership Summit, Graduate School, Michigan State University, Completed on November 7, 2015.
Fall Leadership Week 2012, Department of Student Involvement, University of Idaho. Completed on October 9, 2012. Moscow, Idaho.
Fall Leadership Week 2011, Department of Student Involvement, University of Idaho. Completed on October 20, 2011. Moscow, Idaho.
Credit Appraisal and Introduction to Basel III, Nepal SBI Bank Ltd. Completed on February 11, 2011. Pokhara, Nepal.
Sensitivity of Mass Communication, News Media (Pvt.) Ltd. Completed on September 18, 2010
Ethics in Banking, Citizens Bank International Ltd. Completed on December 10, 2008. Kathmandu Nepal
Prospects in IT Entrepreneurship, Computer Association of Nepal (CAN). Completed on June 15, 2004.
Computer Programs: Proficient in Stata and SAS; working knowledge of R, Mathematica, Matlab, GAUSS, and IMPLAN.
Languages: Fluent in Nepali and Hindi